01 July 2010

Parenting Leaders of Tomorrow

The Philippines officially has a new president.

President Noynoy Aquino was inaugurated into the highest position in the land yesterday, and my family and I watched the historic event as part of our homeschool lesson.

I remember back when election fever was high, Gaby declared that she wanted Noynoy for her President. I asked why, thinking she was probably caught up in the 'yellow fever,' but I was wrong.

She said she wanted Noynoy to be the president because he looked like he obeyed his parents.

Her answer echoed what I thought was a simple, core value every parent instills in their child -- obey your parents.
Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you. (Exodus 20:12)
As I watch the new president take his oath before the nation, I couldn't help but think of his parents. My 6 year old daughter saw something in this grown man that she could relate to, something his parents must have taught him when he was younger. Values which his father died for -- freedom, courage, and love of country. His mother led the nation with her own humility, compassion, and a prayerful attitude.


How proud they must be now that their only son, once content to stay in the shadow of his parents and sister, rose up to the challenge of leading the nation into a new, and hopefully, better chapter in our history.

Wouldn't you be proud too, if you saw your child reap the fruits of the seeds you sowed in his heart?
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. (Proverbs 22:6)
I pray for our nations leaders, that they may serve the country with Christlike attitudes. I pray for our nation, that we may shake old habits and contribute to this new beginning in our own way. I pray for our children, that they grow up instilled with the right values and never wane.

A child right now will lead our country in the future. As parents, how are we training them for a better tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line and let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...