30 August 2010

Joaquin and the Lessons He Taught My Husband

A repost from my husband's blog:

Joaquin and the Lessons He Taught Me

Today, I cut my son's hair. I was blessed with a hair clipper recently and have been using it on myself. This morning, I decided that I was gonna give my boys a buzz too! I called Joaquin to the stool and proceeded to give him a haircut. Long story short, it was a disaster. Scratch cutting hair on my can-do list. I was gifted by God to speak, not to cut hair. 

Joaquin was furious. It was the first time I saw him that mad. He kept telling me, "But Papa, I did not want a haircut." I apologized to him over and over, and asked him what he wanted. He said "I want my hair back now." I told him, "Babe, I know you want it now but we have to wait for hair to grow. It will grow back but not as fast enough as we would want it. It will grow at its own pace."

In my excitement to 'share' something I liked with my kids, Joaquin sat there, trusting me, and I just proceeded to chop up his hair. It was unconditional trust given to me by my own son, and I blew it. 

I finally convinced Joaquin to come to the barber with me for damage control. Right now, he's not really complaining about his buzz (almost as short as mine). He has forgiven me and has been kidding around with me again. It almost shames me to look at him, and how he's turned around from mad to hugging me.
Joaquin and Jaime

Lessons learned:


Just because I like it, I should not force my kids to like it too.

Trust given is very precious. It should not be taken lightly. No matter how much we trust someone, they will let us down. Trust in Someone who will never let us down.
Psalm 9:10
 Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.

The huge value of forgiveness and asking for forgiveness. Yes, even from my own kid. Especially from my own kid.
Matthew 6:14-15 (NIV)
For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

We will be forgiven but we will reap the consequences of our sins.
Galatians 6:7-8 (New International Version)
 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line and let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...