14 October 2010

The Light at the End of the Tunnel

As I write this, the Chilean Miners' Rescue has concluded. The last miner has been lifted from the 69 day tomb underground, and even the rescuers are on their way up.

Just like most of the world, I sat riveted in front of my television -- tears of joy streaming down my face (to the amusement of my children) each time a miner is lifted from the ground to smell the fresh air and be greeted by the smiling, joyous faces of their loved ones. This breaking news is such a far cry to the last worldwide reality opera two months ago, where the Philippines broke many hearts in the August 23 hostage drama.

Back then, I saw a country breakdown in front of the world. Now, I see another country come together for 33 of its sons.

But irregardless of nationality or race, politics and religion, it is heart-warming to see people band together to fulfill a seemingly impossible goal. My heart swells with pride for mankind -- how simple it is to set aside differences to help others! Such selfless commitment.


The ordeal the miners went through is so courageous. I cannot possibly imagine being buried alive with 32 other people for more than two months. (Read on "A Day in the Life of Trapped Chile Miners")

I can understand though the exhilaration of coming out of your own version of darkness and hell. I've been trapped there before, and it's not fun. Sometimes it feels like there are days where you wouldn't want to do anything at all. But there's always a way out. If these men were able to survive 17 days before they were found, and faced the possibility of death, we too have reason to hope.
2 Samuel 22:29 (NIV)
You are my lamp, O LORD; the LORD turns my darkness into light.
The so-called rockstar of the miners, Mario Sepulveda, knows full well the battle between darkness and light. He experienced it himself during his dark days trapped in the mine.

"I was with God and I was with the devil. They fought me, and God won."

To Jesus we must cling, to him we give our faith, and he will give us hope in our darkest hours. He conquers over despair and hopelessness.
John 8:12 (NIV)
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

God's miraculous hand was all over this rescue mission, I do not doubt that. Everything went so smoothly!  As I finish this post, no one is left underground. President Pinera has sealed the entrance to the shaft. As the world rejoices with Chile, I receive several texts that only the Lord can give showing me a light at the end of my own tunnel. I'm rejoicing on my own "rescue mission" orchestrated by God.

I pray for those 33 men and their families. I pray for the rescuers, the people of Chile, and the international community who contributed to the rescue mission. I pray for you and me, that if we are trapped in our own "mine" -- there is hope. There is a light at the end of our tunnel.
John 3:19-21 (NIV)
This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line and let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...