27 June 2010

Everyday Battles

For a time, I was worried about the way we disciplined our children.

Our eldest daughter was obedient, and wise beyond her years. She was easy to discipline, compared to her two brothers. I always thought that the boys' rowdy behavior was because they were "boys being boys." But it became difficult when they made the same offense over and over again.

Oh, how I warned myself about this when I was younger! I vowed never to be a nagger, and yet it seemed that I was turning into one. Never a day went by that I didn't scold the kids for not cleaning up by themselves, hitting each other when a sibling gave them offense, or for not finishing their homework. They've sat in a corner, was not allowed TV or dessert, and on certain occasions, felt the rod.

My throat ached, my heart broke and I was getting tired. Will they ever learn? Will it all end?

But then I realized that there were days when I prayed for forgiveness on a sin which I promised I wouldn't do again. It seemed that I *never* learned, too. Wasn't I like my child who wouldn't listen? Didn't God reprimand me for my actions before? Did I obey his word?

Luke 17:4 says, "If he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times comes back to you and says, 'I repent,' forgive him."

God has been patient in forgiving my offences EVERYDAY, even if I've been wrong a thousand times before. His love for me never wanes, and it humbles me to show the same gentle loving hands to my children.

My heavenly father tells me to be good everyday, and even if my patience is tested each day, God's love for me shows me how to truly, unconditionally love and forgive my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line and let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...